Hello my loverbirds! So last night I got to thinking about my own issues I’ve been having lately with “staying on track”.  By this I mean eating clean and exercising regularly.  Lately I seem to have the workouts down, but slip on the eating.  I know that one is only 100% effective when paired with the other, and with this knowledge I started to get frustrated.  Why am I shorting myself? Motivated at the gym and then finding it soooo hard to turn away those fries at work later.  I’ll eat clean all day and then throw it away with a handful of fries, and for what? No good reason, I tell you.  But ya know what? I can’t beat myself up about it.  Sh*t happens and I’m gonna have a few fries from time to time.  That’s no reason to get discouraged, and that leads me to my 3 tricks to Get on Track! Let’s do this thing!

1.  Always remember the 80/20 rule we live by here at the FGD.

Let’s elaborate.  80% of the time you’re on point with eating clean, and the other 20% is for your slip-ups.  If you don’t need the 20% then POWER TO YOU.  But most of us need it.  That piece of cake, that handful of fries, that piece of bread before dinner.  And don’t forget about the hidden demons such as sugar in your coffee, ketchup on your eggs, and alcohol in your system (I guess alcohol isn’t really a hidden demon, but more of an IN-YOUR-FACE demon).  *Side note: Most condiments are loaded with sodium, so be very mindful when using dipping sauces or salad dressings.  Stick to Tabasco or Sriracha (I had to google the spelling on that..holy cow) for sauces that will keep you slim and rev your metabolism.

2.  Schedule your workouts.

Maybe you have the opposite problem that I do.  Maybe you eat clean 24/7 like a good girl but don’t make enough time for your workouts.  The only way I’ve kept on target with workouts is to make a schedule.  I know that Tuesdays and Sundays are OFF days for me because of working a double, so I make sure to schedule 3-4 workouts on the other days of the week.  If you have weight to lose, you’ve got to incorporate cardio, which may indeed be very time consuming.  If you’re like me and prefer to use weights or HIIT workouts, you can be out of the gym in 45 minutes easily.  When you’ve got a workout planned, you’re less likely to eat like crap.  When you start your day with a workout, you’ll feel so accomplished early on that why in the world would you want to screw that up?  When you work out at night you’re more likely to eat healthy throughout the day so you’re not “going to the gym to burn the fast food off”.  Grab a planner and pick 3 days that you KNOW you can squeeze a workout in, even if it’s not at the gym.  YouTube a workout video for heaven’s sake – I know you can do this!

3.  Look for motivation.

So I have figured out my problem.  I’ve got the Winter blues.  Summer seems like an eternity away and I have no vacation planned (hello, who wants to go?!), so I’m just like Eh who cares what I look like in a bathing suit when it’s months away?! But I CARE, and you should care what you look like too.  Look around and find motivation.  Is it your favorite celeb? That buff chick you see at the gym all year round looking smoking hot? Don’t be jealous, be inspired.  We always want to look our best, and there’s no time like the present.  You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.  Thank yoooooou, Pinterest.

Take these 3 tricks, memorize them, and RUN with them.  Let’s all get into gear together.  Let’s own this.

P.S., I’m about ready to purchase the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition.  If THAT isn’t kick-in-the-ass motivation, then I don’t know what is.  ;)