Hey strangers!!! That’s how I feel..  like we’re all strangers now.  My new 6 or 7 days-a-week work schedule has me confused as to what day it is, what time it is, and anything else that I could possibly be confused about.

This new schedule (with the exception of Tuesdays where I work 11am-10pm) has me leaving my apt for work at 5pm and getting home anywhere between 2 and 5 am (welcome to the life of working in NYC bars).  As you could imagine – this can be very detrimental to my eating habits, sleeping habits & exercise habits.  I’m just trying to get it all in line now.  Everyone’s schedule is obviously different.  Therefore, traditional “rules” don’t apply to everyone.

For example..

I see lots of articles/bloggers/magazines etc. say not to eat fruit after 2pm.  Buttttt..what if you don’t wake up until 11am? What do you do then?

Another rule is no caffeine after 5pm.  But what if have to keep your eyeballs open until 4:30am?

This isn’t just a problem for me.  It’s a problem for anyone with an overnight job.  Nurses, cops, firemen..All jobs involve crazy shifts.  A coworker and I were talking about our love for being healthy and how much it sucks that we have to eat our dinner at 1 in the morning, which has us going to bed full, bloated and with a wacked out metabolism.  It was this conversation that struck me with an idea..Come up with new, logical, applicable rules.  So here they are..

The New Rules:

1. 8 Hours of sleep every night.  Work it into your schedule.  If I go to bed at 2:30, I set my alarm for 10:30.  If you go to bed at 11:00, set your alarm for 7:00.

2.  Starchy carbs with breakfast and LATEST, lunch.  A big omelet, sprouted grain toast, butter, potatoes.  Do it up at breakfast so that you have the entire day to burn it off.  Same thing with your wrap or sandwich at lunch time.  Dinner shouldn’t include bread or heavy starches.  Whole grains are ok :) If all you have for breakfast is half a grapefruit then you’re bound to binge later anyway.

3.  No caffeine 4 hours before bed.  This includes alcohol.  Again, apply this to your sleep schedule!

4.  Try to have all of your day’s fruit servings within 6 hours of being awake.  This way the fruit will be used to power and energize you throughout the day, not spike your metabolism just before bedtime.  The occasional berry snack or yogurt as dessert won’t kill ya though!

SIMPLE rules, right? Try them and I promise you will see a difference in the way your body absorbs and maintains the foods you are eating.  P.S. – These are the rules for 90% of the time.  The other 10% is for FUN.  Stay out instead of sleeping, have a glass of wine or 3, and have a banana sundae before bed.  Live a little, chica.  

Talk soon,

Ava